This resource was created by Carl Cucchiara and Kate Reilly
In this series, participants will visit the past while developing an understanding of the present by comparing postcards of "Duke's Park" from the early 1900s to current views of the same location at Duke Farms.
James Buchanan Duke, amassing his fortune in tobacco and hydro-electric power, arrived on the banks of the Raritan River in 1893. He bought farms, mostly from early Dutch settlers, who had removed early growth while introducing many non-native plants to the area. J.B. Duke wished to emulate the European gardens and parks he encountered on his travels and desired to create his own park in Hillsborough, NJ. With manicured lawns, a variety of native and non-native plants, in addition to many structures and statues inspired by his ventures, he opened “Duke's Park” to the public in the early 1900s.
Over the next few weeks, we will present scenes from these early postcards of Duke Farms partnered with a current photograph of the same site. These will be posted weekly.
- Can you identify the specific differences between the view from a historic postcard and a current photo of the same area?
- Can visitors, who have previously visited the property recognize the location? Or, if you are new to Duke Farms, we encourage you to explore our website or app for clues.
- If this activity inspired you to further explore how our recent initiatives improve the environment while maintaining the integrity of the past, click here.
- There are a series of questions under the pair of photos.
- The answers for each week will be posted under the following week.
- The postcard states “Approach to the East Gate Entrance”. What is this “way” called today? Hint: It is the longest and straightest road in the park.
- The present ‘East Entrance’ leads onto which Duke Farms road?
- Both postcard and photo reveal an ‘allee’, a French term for a landscape feature. What is an ‘allee’ and what was/is its purpose?
- Extra credit: What other French term did you learn from a previous postcard?
Answers to Week 19
- Eagle Gate
- Duke Reservoir
- Dukes Brook