Visits begin at the Orientation Center, housed in the Farm Barn located at 1112 Dukes Parkway West, Hillsborough, New Jersey. This 22,000-square-foot former horse and dairy barn, which has been renovated to LEED Platinum standards of the U.S. Green Building Council, houses an interpretive center, classroom, café, and bathrooms.
Duke Farms’ 18 miles of trails wind through woodlands and meadows, past fountains and sculptures, around lakes and lagoons. Along the way, dozens of interpretive signs and audio tours explain the history of the property, the significance of the native habitat, and the stewardship practices in use. 12 of the 18 miles are open to bikes and many are wheelchair accessible and friendly to strollers.
How is the game played?If using a handheld GPS device (such as a Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, etc.):
- Register for a free basic membership on geocaching.com.
- Visit the Hide & Seek a Cache page to locate a cache nearby.
- Select a cache to view its cache page which lists the cache description, GPS coordinates, and other instructions on how to find the cache.
- Load the coordinates into your GPS device and naviagate to the hidden cache.
- Sign the logbook inside the cache and log your visit online on geocaching.com.
- Download geocaching.com app from your app store (there is an Intro version which only allows you to navigate to 3 caches before it makes you upgrade and there is the full version which is $9.99).
- Log-in using your geocaching.com username or create a free geocaching.com username if you do not have one.
- Once logged in, press "Find Nearby Caches."
- Choose the appropriate cache from the list. The cache page should appear.
- Press "Navigate to Cache." A map should appear showing your location in relation to the cache location.
- Navigate to the cache and sign the logbook when you find it. Go back to the cache page and press "Post a Log/Field Note" to post a log online.
Duke Farms GeoTrail
The Duke Farms GeoTrail is a geocaching challenge consisting of 11 different caches placed around the property. It is a unique journey through a variety of native habitats and landscapes.
To complete the challenge you have to fill out the GeoTrail brochure and uncover the secret word, then present your completed brochure to the front desk staff in the Orientation Center to receive your commemorative token (GeoTrail brochures are available at the front desk in the Orientation Center).