***The Accessibility Shuttle will continue to be available to visitors with limited mobility by reservation throughout the winter season, weather permitting. During periods of rain, snow or freezing temperatures (under 32 degrees) Accessibility Shuttle service will be suspended for safety purposes. Reservations can be made online at https://squareup.com/appointments/book/F9Q1CMXSMV6HC/access-mobile-transportation-hillsborough-nj .
The Off-Season Winter Shuttle Hours from are 10:00am-4:00 pm. Please note that the shuttle does not run in rain, snow, ice, and extreme cold.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 908-243-3644. Thank you.***
This new electric Accessibility Shuttle service replaced the diesel engine Tram, which has been discontinued due to several reasons. These reasons include:
- The tram presented serious safety concerns especially given increased visitation on busy weekends.
- The tram did not necessarily serve the small subset of our visitors who actually require assistance, as they are often out-competed for seats by able-bodied visitors, despite our best efforts to emphasize the purpose of the tram.
- The tram had largely turned into a “ride" instead of serving our visitors with disabilities.
- The tram took away from a relaxing visitor experience for the vast majority of visitors who don’t take the tram.
- The tram was a significant source of carbon emissions and not a good fit with our mission to be an environmental steward.
Duke Farms seeks to provide accommodations to visitors who need mobility assistance while on the property. The Accessibility Shuttle is a service available to those visitors with limited mobility. This service is provided on a first come, first served basis, and advanced registration is strongly recommended for this service. Reservations can be made using the following link:
If you need further assistance with making a reservation, please call (908) 722-3700 ex. 2 for additional information.
- The Accessibility Shuttle is available every day (except Wednesday) from 10am to 4:00pm
- Reservations can be made every half hour starting at 10:00am and ending at 4:00pm.
- Service does not run in rain, snow, ice, thunderstorms and extreme cold. (open air cart)
- Shuttle service runs between the Orientation Center to the Orchid Range.
- The Accessibility Shuttle is only available if weather permits. Any reservations made that are canceled due to poor weather conditions (e.g. heavy rain, or lightning and thunder) will be rescheduled by our Visitors Services Department. Visitors will receive a phone call or email.
- Shuttle reservations are free of charge. However, a credit card is required to hold a reservation. No-show reservations are subject to a fee if proper notification isn’t given to our Visitor Service Department. Please arrive at least 10 minutes early for your reservation.
- Please note that a reservation is only available for two (2) visitors - the visitor requiring assistance and one additional person to travel with them while using this service. NO EXCEPTIONS. Groups of more than two (2) people that require this service should plan accordingly as the group will temporarily split up at the Orientation Center and can reconnect at The Orchid Range.
- Shuttle drivers have a copy of all reservations made for each day. Photo identification will be required to confirm all reservations on the day of your visit. Any reservation must be made in the same name of the person who will be using this service.
- The shuttle service is only available to those who make a reservation.
- The Accessibility Shuttle is not a property tour. Drivers do not make stops at any locations beyond the Orientation Center and The Orchid Range.
Any questions regarding the Accessibility Shuttle should be directed to the Front Desk at (908) 722-3700 ext. 2.
What accessibility services does Duke Farms provide?
- Accessible parking areas are located in the front of the parking area at the Farm Barn Orientation Center.Large print editions of our brochures, maps and Field Guide.
- An introductory video (closed captioning provided).
- Assisted listening devices (available in the classroom).
- Farm Barn and Orchid Range both have automatic door entrances for easy access.
- A wheelchair accessible video screening room.
- An exhibition space, accessible on the first floor of the Farm Barn.
- A fully accessible café space.
- Several universal design community garden plots.
- While we do not allow household pets, we do welcome working, trained service animals as described by the ADA.
- Accessible bathrooms at the Farm Barn Orientation Center, Orchid Range, and Community Garden and on trails (see map for locations).
- A private, universal restroom available for those who may need an aide’s assistance.
- An ADA rated vehicle that can accommodate a wheelchair. The Accessibility Shuttle is available every day (except Wednesday) every half hour between the hours of 10:00am – 4:00pm on a first come first serve basis. Advance reservations are strongly encouraged.
- A map indicating the most easily accessible pathways is available at the Orientation Center.
- As an outdoor park, some pathways throughout the park may offer challenges to those with wheelchairs/scooters, but most of our pathways are accessible, and new accessible pathways are being constructed as funding allows.